Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Unit 5- The Flipped Classroom

I found that this week's assignment on flipped classrooms was very interesting. I honestly have never even heard of the flipped classroom until this school year. My assistant principal in my school is really big on innovation and 21st Century Teaching. So when she mentioned that some teachers are looking into converting their room into a flipped classroom, I honestly had no idea what she was even talking about. All I knew was that direct instruction would change to where the students would be learning their lessons on the computer and I was to monitor them. Naturally, I felt a little stressed because I worry that my students already get too much screen time and that I didn't want them to get even more while they are with me in school. Plus, I want my students to socialize and interact with one another. So, during that time I dismissed the whole idea of converting my room over to a flipped classroom.

However, as I was watching the videos and reading the articles on what a flipped classroom actually entails, I now have a better understanding of why my assistant principal was so excited. I understand that, at first it'll be hard work, all I would have to do is create a video of the content that I would be teaching my students and assign or show it to them on the day as my direct instruction. Then for the rest of the duration of the class period, I could plan out activities for them to do on the topic as well as be able to meet with small groups to reteach or enhance the lesson on the video. I really like this idea because I have a tendency to get off topic and drag out my lessons which takes time away from my students practicing these newly found skills.

My Flipped Classroom Example 

So I created a lesson on text structure using Google's Screencastify and Youtube. This is a longer lesson, however I had five different types of text structure to talk about, plus I wanted to have the whole lesson in there. If you don't watch all the videos that's okay, I would just like to hear your feedback. One problem that I didn't like about Screencastify was that if only allowed you to do 10 minute videos. Therefore I made 2 instructional videos and one of a YouTube video. Thanks!

UPDATED! My apologies on the uploaded videos not working, so here's the links to the videos on YouTube

Part 1- Text Structure

Part 2- Text Structure

Part 3- Text Structure

Resources:
F. (2017, April 06). Retrieved April 05, 2018, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kWGQ-_ipBY

7 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm not sure if it's my computer or internet, but I am unable to open your links or play your videos. Are you able to do so on your end? I think it's great we are learning about flipped classrooms because I am sure other teachers also do not know what it is! Has your school already implemented it? Or are they still planning on it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessica!
      Sorry about the videos not being able to load. I'm not sure as to what was going on with them because they played on my end. However, I decided to delete them and just put the links so that when you click on them it'll take you straight to YouTube where you can view my videos.

      As far as the implementation of a flipped classroom in my school, no one has done it yet. My assistant principal just got hired as our principal for next year because of my current principal retiring. I think she would be all for me being the first one to give it a shot. She's all about keeping up-to-date with the newer ways of teaching.

      Delete
  2. Hi Shannon!

    I experience the same issues as Jessica. I used Screencastify as well and after it was saved into my Google drive I downloaded to my computer, and then I was able to embed it as a video in my blog by selecting it from the Downloads folder of my computer. Not sure if that would be helpful to you or not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Abigail,
      Sorry for the inconvience and not being able to see my videos. I did update the post by deleting the embedded videos and just placed their links, which will take you right to YouTube. But, thank you for the advice! I truly appreciate it. It's weird how it worked on my end and not for others. Maybe I have a setting set where I can only view it. But, I know the links work. Thank you!!

      Delete
  3. Shannon,
    It's very cool that you have such a supportive and forward-thinking administration! Our school district is slowly moving in that direction as well, I believe. I'm wondering how your school handles students who do not have internet/device access at home? That's been one of my biggest roadblocks.
    Thanks,
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicole!
      Having a supportive administration is what all teachers need. Having the ability to try new teaching techniques and being supported by my soon to be principal is what makes teaching enjoyable. My school is super slow moving towards students being able to take their Chromebooks home. However, I know the school is willing to work with families that do not have internet at home by providing them different options. Perhaps talking to you administration on how to get your students the internet access that they need will give you a better idea. Thank you for responding!

      Delete
  4. Hey Shannon,
    Thanks for sharing your experiences. Just know that you don't have to totally flip your classroom right away. Like some of the videos in our lesson said, start slow. Also, if it's a lesson that you feel your students will get more out of with class discussion or small group activities, keep with it. Don't feel like every lesson has to be flipped. I flip some of my lessons, the more direct instruction type (tutorials with Excel). However, there are still times that I like the students to work in small groups on a project which wouldn't entail videos. It's really all up to the flow of your class. Good luck!
    -Melissa

    ReplyDelete